OSUIT Brings Pecan Brittle to Festival

Chef Grady and Students to Prepare Goodies

Melissa Heminover, Reporter

For years, those attending the Okmulgee Chamber of Commerce Pecan Festival have come to expect a larger-than-life Pecan Pie. Many recall having their very own slice as a youngster. However, as times change, so do the ways in which one can partake of Okmulgee’s famous pecans.

When the Okmulgee Chamber of Commerce Pecan Festival Committee began discussing a festival for 2020, they knew they wanted to offer something different to those that came out. When the pandemic hit, that put a hold on plans for the festival, as well as the pecans.

As the Committee came together for 2021’s Festival, Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Kay Rabbitt-Brower reached out to OSUIT’s Culinary Arts department and knew they would have some great ideas.

“We went to the experts,” Rabbitt-Brower said. “We knew they would come up with something that would not only be unique, but also something we could present successfully that would be delicious.”

Chef Grady brought together several students that brainstormed and came up with the idea to create what may be the world’s largest pecan brittle.

“This is a great opportunity for us to be part of the community,” Chef Grady said. “We always want to make sure we give back to our community.”

Chef Grady said bags of pecan brittle will be for sale at the Chamber of Commerce booth during the festival. “We will begin preparing the official Pecan Festival Brittle on Saturday at 11.” Chef Grady said the brittle will take approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour from start to finish. 

The brittle tent will be set-up along 7th Street between Morton and Grand east of the Pecan Festival Stage.