The Kress Building
The Kress building is a two-story Moderne style brick blonde brick building on the corner southeast corner of 7th & Grand. The building was built in 1937 on the site of the Hippodrome Theatre and Opera House, which burned down in the winter of 1933.
The Hippodrome Theatre and Opera House was constructed in 1921 during the heyday of Okmulgee's oil boom at the cost of $745,000. At the time, it was known as the largest theatre west of the Mississippi River.
During the late evening of December 31, 1933, the glorious Hippodrome was gutted by fire. It's remains were demolished and replaced by the Kress Building in 1937. The building is named after the Kress Department Store that occuppied it for many years, and is a part of the Okmulgee Downtown Historic District.